Sunday, May 13, 2007

The Pursuit of Happiness

"The proof of your passion lies in your pursuit" - Dr A.R. Bernard

I think you all probably have heard this many times over, but this one's really stuck with me, and it struck me again during cell group meeting today.

Passion. An intense emotion, strong feeling, great devotion, intense conviction which fills or motivates us towards compelling action. A fervent devotion to a cause.

What are you passionate about? More importantly, what are you doing about it?

It's no secret that I'm passionate about singing, about making music, and in the near future release a few singles and albums that would change the music scene, and touch millions of people out there. Not difficult these days, considering how connected we are.

I have taken steps to make this a reality. I've taken up vocal lessons (together with June), I've set up all the hardware and software needed to make music, and even took steps to ensure that my music room contains everything I need, and nothing else to create the music that I want. I've got visions, ideas, concepts, and even plans and dates in mind. (OK, I'll need to start writing all these down.)

But... I haven't been making much progress...

As much as I want to move on, I'm held back by a weakness I'm constantly struggling against - discipline.

Discipline. I've been struggling against ill-discipline for a long time. Many times the things I've wanted to do are delayed due to ill-discipline, an inability to move against the inertia, and an inability to move along with what's started by putting in constant effort. You don't need to be a physicist to understand Newton's first law of motion. :P

I've been struggling to get up early each morning to do my quiet time, and to practice singing. In fact, I don't think I've managed to practice much singing since I've set my heart to do it. And sometimes, not often though, I even snooze past my quiet time. Really need to start discipling my flesh.

Another area I need to discipline myself is in the area of time management. I'm sick and tired hearing myself makes excuses that I can't do this, I can't do that because I have no time.

I really need to make more time, and I believe focus is the key.

There are certain things in my life I can change to bring it into clearer focus. I believe I can put in additional effort to concentrate on my work in the day, and get more my work done without having to OT (and thus reduce the amount of time I have at night). I believe in the little time I have in the morning and in the night, I can make it count.

This will probably make me very tired, but I'm trusting on God to give me strength to go on. :)

I know you probably got things you want to go for too, so let's all fight the good fight together!

My prayer for this season:

"Lord, give me the strength to overcome the inertia of starting new things, and give me the strength to overcome the friction that impedes my progress by giving me the strength and the discipline to keep pushing. Help me to stay focused on the matters on hand, and help me to put away distractions and temptations that take away my attention. Enlarge my capacity, that I might be able to maximize my time, to achieve the best I can be, in the shortest time possible."

Blessed is the man who perseveres under trial, because when he has stood the test, he will receive the crown of life that God has promised to those who love him. (Jam 1:12, NIV)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home