Thursday, October 27, 2005

Out of the Box

Was on the way back from service last friday, when my bro and I hit on the topic of computer games. I had (not-so) recently completed one of the best games ever made - Half-Life 2. Took me a couple of months (probably 4 months or so) to complete it. (Yes, I took that long...)

OKies, maybe I played twice every 2 weeks (alt weekends, both days), and I spend not more than 3 hrs each session. But it's still pretty long. I've known of some people who completed the game in 4 hrs?!? And I meant complete the game in normal difficulty.


My bro then gently remindered me why I always take so long to complete my games - I'm very persistent in doing things in a particular fashion, and often neglect, or don't even think about other ways of doing things. (Another reason is due to me being a perfectionist. I tend to replay parts over and over until I feel that I've got it right. =P)


And I would say he's quite right. I sometimes am so single-minded on a matter that, to me, there is only one way out. In such a case, there's only 2 possible outcomes, you make it, or you break it. That's why we have to keep thinking out of the box. When we do so, we create new possibilities for ourselves. One more possibility means one more door to success. Even if you've found a way to success, opening more doors could mean getting there in a shorter time!


I'm glad I'm not very often like that. As much as possible I keep an open mind, to listen, to learn and see how others do things, and see if I can apply these into my life. I do spend time each day just trying to think out of box, to think if I can do things a little different from the way things are done normally, and this has brought me great inspirations.

I guess we can learn from everything, even from playing games, and even if the lesson we learnt is not in the contents of the game itself, we can learn still something. So, be open to perceive and receive. Who know what you can learn!


Before I leave, I leave you this quote: "Doing the same thing over and over and trying to get different results each time is a sure sign of insanity."

True ain't it? =P


And He said, "To you it has been given to know the mysteries of the kingdom of God, but to the rest it is given in parables, that ' Seeing they may not see,And hearing they may not understand.'" (Luke 8:10, NKJV)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home