Thursday, November 15, 2007

An Important Lesson

The world had taught me one lesson: If you are nice, you'll get bullied by everyone else.

I had learnt this the hard way. I used to treat people nicely; I go out of the way to make people happy, and when people try to contend with me, I take a step back and try to appease the situation. And in the end, what did I get? Some people took advantage of my meekness and hurled abuses at me, bruised my ego and even tried to cheat me of my money.

So, these days, I retaliate. When people shout at me, I shout back, and I make sure I shout louder. When people stir up a fight against me, I fight back, and I fight to win.

And so, I've won... Or have I?

Despite "winning", I'm not happy. Instead, I've become empty, bitter, cynical, impatient, contentious and easily irritable. More than just that, I have noticed that lately I've been arguing just for the sake of arguing. Many of the "reasons" I bring up in my arguements I know are just plain excuses deep inside, but I don't care. I just want to win; I just want to be right.

So these are the consequences of winning?

No, in fact, I have lost. I have lost against the principalities of this world.

Jesus did *not* say "When your enemy slaps you wrongly, slap him back and make sure he hurts more! Muhahaha!" He said "You have heard that it was said, 'An eye for an eye and a tooth for a tooth.' But I tell you not to resist an evil person. But whoever slaps you on your right cheek, turn the other to him also." (Matt 5:38-39) I had done the exact opposite; I had given an eye for an eye and a tooth for a tooth.

Jesus went on to say "You have heard that it was said, 'You shall love your neighbor and hate your enemy.' But I say to you, love your enemies, bless those who curse you, do good to those who hate you, and pray for those who spitefully use you and persecute you." (Matt 5:43-44) How many of us can do this? Man, look at the words in italics!

The mark of a true Christian is love. It is our duty to love people and not condemn them. Vengeance is not ours, and we don't have the capacity or wisdom to judge people, and say they are wrong and we are right.

Everyone has a story to tell, and every coin has two faces. However right we think we are, in God's eyes, perhaps both parties are right is some ways, and wrong in others. We are usually biased against ourselves, as we are all born selfish. Just because people ill-treat us, should we turn nasty? Of course not! Why shortchange the rest of the world for a handful of people who mistreat you?

And thus, I am making a statement here: I reject this worldy principle that I have learnt, and henceforth, I want to be loving, not right.

Was it right for a Man who knew no sin to die for all who have? No, it was love.

For what profit is it to a man if he gains the whole world, and loses his own soul? Or what will a man give in exchange for his soul? (Matt 16:26, NKJV)

1 Comments:

At 5:50 PM, Blogger Fleur De La Lune said...

looking forwrd to ur next posts :o)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home