Saturday, June 16, 2007

Bittersweet Goodbye

I had wanted to post this a long time ago, but I've been kept occupied by work that I had to clear before my ICT on 26th Jun. This entry is post dated as such, to the date I intended to post the entry. :)

Recently June said my blog's too salty already, so I decided to add two more flavours to this blog. (See title.) :P

I know my colleagues are reading my blog as well, but I think it's time they knew too.

I'm on the verge of leaving, and it's a really bittersweet goodbye.

I've gone for an interview with a relatively large local company on the 8th of June, and during the interview they asked me why I am leaving my present company. I truthfully told them the remuneration isn't competitive (on top of other things). They then commented that their pay is only average, so I though, "Gone... Sure under 3K le..."

At the end of the interview, they asked if my expected salary of 3.2K is what I really wanted. (I prayed about this figure, and I felt the peace of God writing this down though it's a big jump from my current salary.) I told them
honestly, yes this is what I want.

To my greatest surprise, they told me in a matter-of-fact fashion that 3.2K is a bit low, they will adjust it accordingly if they take me in. I nearly flipped from my chair!

I'm really glad I went for the interview. It really opened my eys to my true value, and how much I've been underpaid. June and I have been unhappy about our pay for some time already, since we know some 3 or 4 fresh grads making 2.6K to 2.8K as their starting pay! I've got 3 years experience, and I'm earning lower! Atrocious!

So based on these, I've engaged both my bosses in a rather "heated" discussion. In short, I had told them the market rate for fresh grads is now 2.7-2.9K (as reported in the newspapers), and I did tell them truthfully about how much the other company was offering me, and how I would go once they confirmed me. They then promised me they'll look into this matter.

Well, I don't think they would match up to the 3.2K I expected, but at least when I go they'll appreciate the remaining staff a bit more, and hopefully raise their pay as well.

So I guess it's goodbye from me, it's been such a great ride with you all! :)

Sigh... I had the same bittersweet feeling during our company outing on Vesak Day. I really had so much fun with the shopping and karaoke at JB. (Our M'sian friend became our tour guide for one day. :P) But at the end of it, I was feeling a bit sian, knowing this could be the last time we went out like that.

June cheered me up saying we still can go out together even after I leave, but I couldn't help feeling a bit sad. Well, all good things have to come to an end, and when it's time to go, I'll make a graceful exit. :)

1 Comments:

At 10:02 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

It was very interesting for me to read this article. Thanks for it. I like such themes and anything that is connected to them. I definitely want to read more on that blog soon.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home