Friday, July 06, 2007

Woohoo!!

Got a litte surprise waiting for me when I got back from reservist... DSTA offered me a job! What's more, they're offering to pay me some 50% more than what I had gotten in my last pay cheque! WOOHOO!!

The journey here has really been quite incredible, and it could only have been possible because of God. :) Just to tie up everything together, let me tell you the whole story all over...

Towards the end of April, I decided that it was time to move on, and so I started on this job seeking saga. For all my applications, I took a huge step of faith and put an expected salary that was 20% more than what I had been getting. It was a huge leap for me, but I felt the peace of God as I wrote it down, so I left it as that. This was the exact figure I wrote down when I applied for DSTA then.

I sent our my application to a couple of companies, most of them being big ones (thinking they can afford to give me a more competitive package). One week passed, then two, then three, and then a full month. No one contacted me, not one. I had thought I put a value too high.

To be honest, I was a little surprised, yet not surprised when DSTA contacted me for an interview a month and a few days after my application. Surprised because some one had finally thought my request was reasonable, but yet not surprised because I somehow knew it was coming. It's really difficult to explain, but I wasn't the least bit worried that no one had contacted me after one month, and I wasn't worried even though I had somehow convinced myself that I had put a value too high.

And so, I went for the interview, and to my utter surprise, they said my expected salary was a bit low. That nearly caused me to fall out from my chair! The interview went pretty smoothly, but I wasn't adequately prepared for it as it was my first interview in a long time. Nonetheless, I had a pretty good feeling about it, and I wrote a blog entry on it. (Read Bittersweet Goodbye for details.)

One week passed, then two, then three, and then a full month again. I had not heard from DSTA (though I've gotten another interview in the mean time). I thought perhaps I fumbled during the interview and I didn't make it through. But then again, I had the same peace that I felt when I put down my expected salary earlier. Inexplicably once again, I wasn't the least bit worried that I didn't get the job although I had convinced myself that I failed the interview. (When I wrote the entry Bittersweet Goodbye, I wrote it as if I had already gotten the job and was saying my goodbyes already.)

Looking back, I could only say that it was God's faith and God's faithfulness at work in my life. So many times I could have given up and settled for something lower, but God gave me peace, and gave me much much more than I could have asked for. Praise God!

Now to him who is able to do immeasurably more than all we ask or imagine, according to his power that is at work within us, to him be glory in the church and in Christ Jesus throughout all generations, for ever and ever! Amen. (Eph 3:20-21, NIV)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home